Cantonese Opera at Tai Ping Festival in Hong Kong

I went up to Lam Tsuen in Tai Po (Hong Kong) over the weekend, to a once-in-ten-year festival that they were having up there. Crowded as all hell, but that's part of deal here in Hong Kong. It's even part of the criteria for judging whether an event is enjoyable: it needs to be "hot" and "noisy" to be good, or in Cantonese " Yi-Lau". It was both of those, and very good spirited and relaxed as well. I wish I could find more events like that here.

It was really my first time to see a full Cantonese Opera show live, and it was a spectacle. I was lucky enough to be able to go backstage to see the preparations, and to do this with a very famous opera company: Ming Chee Sing Chinese Opera.

Here are some of the shots that I got from Sunday, and there are a lot more on my Flickr stream:

Cantonese Opera at Lam Tsuen  (3 of 95)

Cantonese Opera at Lam Tsuen  (5 of 95)

Cantonese Opera at Lam Tsuen  (11 of 95)

Cantonese Opera at Lam Tsuen  (17 of 95)

Cantonese Opera at Lam Tsuen  (25 of 95)

Cantonese Opera at Lam Tsuen  (41 of 95)

Cantonese Opera at Lam Tsuen  (42 of 95)

Cantonese Opera at Lam Tsuen  (43 of 95)

0 comments: